COURSE: Ayurvedic Abhyanga Massage 14h (+ extra 20h additional resources)
MODALITY: Online Course / Home study (self-paced learning, enroll whenever you want!)
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS: 14 (NCBTMB and NY state approved)
CERTIFICATION: Certificate of Achievement
AFTER COURSE COMPLETION: The student will be able to download course hand-outs of the theory as well as the massage technique (step-by-step illustrations and explanations)
CLICK HERE for a short video tutorial on how to enroll.
The Abhyanga massage is the most famous massage deriving from the Ayurveda, an ancient healing system from India that is still widely popular today. In the Ayurvedic Abhyanga massage, the aim is to create balance between the body, mind and spirit, by stimulating the body´s energy channels and centers. In this massage the oil is highly important as it is believed to bring balance as well as nourish the skin when applied through the massage strokes. This course provides you with the skills needed to perform the entire Abhyanga massage, together with an understanding of the underlying Ayrvedic concepts about energy, balanced constitution, diet, lifestyle, etc.
Check out the course preview:
THEORY: Before starting the hands-on practice of the massage, it is important that you are familiar with the background of the ancient Ayurveda medicine, as well as comprehend its particular perspective on the human body and mind; the concept of the five elements o mahabhutas; the concept of doshas or constitutions and their characteristics; the prakriti or identification of the doshas; the dinacharya or lifestyle factors; and the different Ayurvedic treatment methods. Therefore, the first part of the course covers the theoretic aspects that give you a rich foundation for practicing the Ayurvedic Abhyanga massage.
PRACTICE: In the second part of the course you get to practice the massage technique. In this section you will find several videos showing the practice of the Abhyanga massage, step-by-step. Every step includes an explanatory text (describing the massage technique, the application manner, the benefits and effects, etc.), an illustration with the direction of the massage stroke, and a video clip where you can see exactly how the stroke is performed. This methodology allows you to repeat each sequence and step of the massage as many times as you need!
VIDEO LECTURES & INTERVIEWS: In addition, this course is full of videos with interviews and master´s classes given by famous teachers, pictures, illustrations and all the material necessary to facilitate the understanding of the Ayurvedic Abhyanga massage as well as the Ayurvedic philosophy.
- Understand the connection between Ayurveda and Traditional Chinese medicine, Tibetan medicine, etc., as well as its origins and evolution.
- Understand the particular Ayurvedic approach on the human organism; the constitutions, the five elements, the energy system.
- Perceive the human being from a holistic point of view (body, mind and spirit).
- Describe the effects, indications and counter-indications of the massage.
- Perform the complete Ayurvedic Abhyanga massage tailored to the constitution of the client.
In this course our aim is to equip you with the necessary skills to perform the Ayurvedic Abhyanga massage in a professional manner, and to give you an overview of the Ayurveda as a lifestyle science and medicine.
Please remember, before practicing any new modalities or techniques check with your state’s massage therapy regulatory authority, to ensure that these are within the state’s defined scope of practice for massage therapy.
“This online Ayurvedic Abhyanga massage course has been an invaluable experience and journey for me. I embrace it as a real treasure and feel proud to be able to use these techniques and general Ayurvedic protocol and lifestyle to help other people around me. Thank you so much for this adventure! I didn’t have any model to start with so I had to practise on myself and have to say the strokes are amazing and the benefits are long lasting and really positive. The steps are clearly explained thanks to videos and hands-on handouts, plus we are immersed in the Indian culture and traditions which makes it so special, I couldn’t have expected more. I have also liked the final links that encourage us to feel curious and learn more about the different topics. The content is really well done which encourages us to move smoothly from one step to the other. Thank you for making this course available & affordable to anyone, I could only recommend it. I loved the course so much that I’m now planning to start the online Ayurvedic Indian head massage (champi) course. :-)” – Lise Otto, France.
“It was a great experience, I’ve learned a lot. Videos and Information are excellent.” – Gisele Borelli-Montigny, Physician.
“A beautifully organized and very informative course. It was much more than I expected. The ayurvedic background information and mediation were very well presented as well. I’m looking forward to practicing.” – Larry M, Ayurvedic practitioner and Yoga teacher.
“I have wanted to learn Abhyanga massage for a few years now and this course was exactly what I wanted, and more! After taking this course and putting in the time to practice, I feel confident enough to include this massage amongst the other modalities I offer. It was clear, motivating, and fun to learn with this program. I will definitely recommend Massage Around The World products to my peers and plan on taking more of their courses. Thank you!” – Pamela Belen, LMT.
“Massage Around the World produces high quality online continuing education courses. Abhyanga Massage is beautifully produced. The course includes commentary by Indian Ayurvedic physicians as well as clear, easy to follow demonstration videos showing a basic full body massage sequence. Each section offers a list of book titles and links to Internet videos to supplement the knowledge areas covered for further study. Therefore the course is appropriate for therapists who are new to Ayurvedic concepts and will also satisfy more the more experienced.” – Lisa Mertz, PhD, LMT.
“I enjoyed this course. I’m a yoga instructor and massage therapist (swedish and ayurvedic head/face) and wanted to learn the full body abhyanga massage for a while. The instructions are clear and to the point. I really enjoyed taking this course and feel confident to practice.” – Amannda Kay, Yoga Instructor & Massage Therapist.
“This was a great course. I loved learning about the history of Ayurveda and the content of the Abhyanga massage was broken down clearly and simply. I rated it 10/10!”. – Susan Unes, LMT.
César Tejedor is the developer and instructor of the Abhyanga massage online course. He has written 19 Spa & Massage books, is an acclaimed teacher and trainer in massage and alternative therapies, and the CEO and Founder of Massage Around the World.
The course includes interviews of the following Ayurvedic professionals:
- Amrita Sharma: Ayurvedic Doctor, specialized in herbal pharmacology, yoga and naturopathy. She conducts lectures all around India as well as promotes the Ayurvedic and Yogic lifestyle through her articles and academic papers.
- Rajesh: Ayurvedic Doctor and teacher, who gives lectures and courses in Ayurvedic treatments and therapies to students from around the globe. He is currently also developing an Ayurvedic wellness resort in India in order to promote well-being through ancient methods.
- Rani Gupta: Ayurvedic Doctor specialized in gynaecological disorders and fertility, as well as nutrition and lifestyle. She is an acclaimed teacher in Ayurvedic therapies and promoter of the Ayurvedic science of life.
- Ratheesh: Ayurvedic doctor who has been successful in the field of Spa and wellness in high-end resorts in India. Currently he manages one of the top Ayurvedic Spas in the country.
- Sapna: Ayurvedic Doctor and renown teacher in Ayurvedic medicine, Panchakarma and massage therapies to students all over the world.
- Siddhartha Deshpande: Ayurvedic Doctor, Lifestyle Consultant, and Spa Manager. He has successfully treated more than 22000 patients suffering from various diseases with the help of Ayurveda. Conducts workshops and seminars all around the world.
- Tarun Gupta: Ayurvedic Doctor, he follows the traditional teachings, but sometimes combines them with a more modern approach. He has cured thousands of patients and shared his knowledge with students around the world.
To learn more about our collaborators click here.